Wednesday 13 January 2016

Gallery: Kingdom Death - The Butcher By Sven

Actually I can’t believe that I’m finally writing this article now. This special miniature stood on my desk for ages and I kept on postponing the work on it. I can’t even tell you why, as I really like the model, but just as the King’s Man I was never in the right mood for the kind of work it required. Lots of OSL and metals to do. In the end he also took a bit longer to paint than normal, just because I paused several times. But finally here he is:

Like I already mentioned in the Mondays Preview when I showed him primed, I used the Forsaker Knights for orientation, as the Butcher is basically a Forsaker that has succumbed to the rage of his mask. I started with the fur and bone, as dry brushing always tends to be a bit messy. The fur is painted Vallejo Earth, Desert Yellow and Khaki, just like the barren floor of my bases.
For the metals I checked back with my own article and used Vallejo True Metallic Copper for the armour and Silver for the blades just as I wrote back then. Strangely I felt like the Copper was much too red for the colour that Forsaker armour bears.
Nevertheless I moved on, washing the armour with sepia and brown washes like I originally, accidentally did with the Forsaker Knights. But the tone stayed too red. So finally I had to add a strong highlight with Vallejo True Metallic Red Gold and conduct the whole procedure again. To show the difference I didn’t touch the back and as you can see on the picture it appears redder than the shoulders and legs, which have been treated with red gold. I can’t say I didn’t like the reddish colour or that it looked bad, but I’m just a sucker for those “fluff connections”, so it had to be the Forsaker colour.
Finally I had to tackle all the lanterns. For a stronger effect I probably should’ve used a darker tone on the fur, but as you possibly guessed, it follows the Forsaker colour scheme. As does the cape itself of course. For the light I used a lot of Vallejo Pale Yellow which just works great for light effects. I’m also very happy with the flayed skin on his belly. Looks nice and fleshy.

A lot of  fine detail work and some fun with Tamiya Clear red later the Butcher was finally done. Also I still think the colours a little bit too bright overall which lessens the OSL work on him, but whenever I look at him he looks better than I actually expect him to do…



Thanks for reading,
Sven
Send The Eighth!
Inspired? Support the blog and get great discounts with next day dispatch! Shop with Element Games
To keep up to date with all our goings on, like and follow our FacebookGoogle + & Twitter pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Element Games - Wargaming Webstore