Monday 9 December 2013

Wip: Crimson Fists Tactical Squad


I am reaching the finish point with this squad of Space Marines, just a few final details and highlights to complete before I move onto the final phase of adding transfers. I have learnt a lot working on this squad so far, especially in the sharp highlight's area, which previously I had struggled with ie Minotaurs and Dark Angels. The Crimson gloves and details are just how I want them, as a rich contrast to the midnight blue of their armour. I love the description used in the Traitor's Gorge novella, where the Crimson Fist's armour is so dark that they blend into the shadows of night, a great image in my mind.


Adding the transfers will be a relatively new thing for me, I have not used decals in over 20 years, so I expect to lose some time figuring out the 'right' way of doing things. I am armed with Micro Sol and Micro Set solution, but have done only minimal reading up on the proper way to use these two solution. I am sure that after a practice run tomorrow/Wednesday I will be able to crack on and finish the rest of the squad by the end of the week. If I can finish a squad before Christmas hits to accompany my Captain, I will be very pleased.

In regards to the Captain, he won't be sitting alone for too long, I have started chopping away at some old figures in my collection and am slowly piecing together a Command Squad, with a Rogue Trader themed Apothecary, I have even managed to get my hands on the new Reclusiarch figure as an individual piece to add to the company command. 

I am really looking forward to blogging about those once the Tactical Squad is complete and am far happier with my descision to work on a background base army over a gaming list.

Thanks for reading,

DiStudios
The 14th legion

Inspired? Reinforce today and support the 14th legion by shopping with: Wayland Games - Discount Wargames

4 comments:

  1. Those guys are developing great! I especially like that you're using pinkish highlights on the reds instead of orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, just another 5 tactical squads to go :P

      Delete
  2. Haha, shouldn't you finish those guys first? ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, I am being overly optimistic that I will finish by end of the week >.< !!!

      I have to say though, of the September Space Marine releases, the Tactical Squad has proven to be my favourite. The re-cut has a lot of variety of armour types, which goes a long way to keep the kit interesting to work with.

      Delete

Element Games - Wargaming Webstore