Monday, 24 August 2026

Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition ~ Death Guard 1991 by Jes Goodwin #4

Greetings, today we have a look at the leader of my budding Death Guard Warband. The figure is a mild conversion of Jes Goodwin's iconic Death Guard Chaos Space Marine from 1991. It is truly one of my favourite sculpt of the era and shows just how ahead of the curve Jes was at the time with his sculpts. This miniature locks in the iconic Death Guard look, that would carry on for 35 years into the contemporary plastic era. The colour scheme; like the rest of the collection; is from the 1994 Eavy Metal painting guide, which uses the same miniature for the tutorial. Hopefully I have done it some measure of tribute with my interpretation. 

Death Guard 1991 Jes Goodwin
I decided quite early on, that I wanted to convert this figure with a melee weapon, so I took the cleaver from a spare 1988/89 Chaos Warrior and sculpted the a wooden haft for the bottom. I think the choice of weapon looks brutal and works really well with the Death Guard overall aesthetic.

Chaos Warrior 1988

Sadly no demonic googly eyes for the back pack this time, but a few gems. This is a plastic version of the Chaos back pack as I didn't want to carve up a metal one - fitting the pack was very awkward. Again I opted to make some of the parts look as organic as possible to give it the bio mechanical look. The figure was then finished off with transfers from the 2nd edition plastic Plague Marine box set.

Death Guard 1991 Jes Goodwin

This was probably the most fun miniature so far, the minor conversion and sheer awesomeness of the sculpt made for a interesting paint job throughout. Normally I struggle with boredom with power armour projects, but in the case of early Chaos miniatures, there are so many unique details that make each figure a unique process. I do have more of this figure and will paint them as the warband grows, but for now, the only real question that really remains is: will he get a banner... 

For more recent updates on my projects, please check out my Facebook page or Instagram 

Thanks for reading,

Chris 
 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Element Games - Wargaming Webstore