
The Rogue Trader Terminators (Imperial or Traitor) by Jes Goodwin are among my favourite sculpts of the Rogue Trader era. With their iconic bull dog helmets, chunky profile and brutal looking weapons, they stood apart from the older range of standard power armour sculpts of the time. And yet despite my absolute love for the sculpts, it would take thirty plus years to pluck up the courage to paint my ones. While I had manage to paint some of the Imperial version; including a Cyclone Missile Launcher (yet to be posted), I had never attempted the Traitor or assault weapons versions. This year I decided to rectify that.
The Traitor Terminator, really is just a 'bad guy' version of the Imperial ones. Extra skulls, horn bits and the Chaos symbol on the shoulder, instead of the Crux Terminatus, are all that stand different between the sculpts. In the case of the 'Sergeant' figure, a skull face replaces the standard helmet (will paint one at a later date).
however, the Chaotic details on these figure really stand out. The storm bolter is a weird morass of bio mechanical bits, which really reminded me of some of the Space Crusade art cards and of course Giger - much like the Rogue Trader Chaos Dreadnought.
The Power glove arm is in my opinion a superior design to the Imperial version. It is larger, has more articulate looking fingers and is fantastically emblazoned with skulls on the knuckles and a really nicely sculpted Chaos Star. These design elements would transfer throughout future Chaos Terminators sculpts decades on.
I finished the miniature by adding a shoulder transfer from the 2nd edition plastic Nurgle Plague Marines set. Its quite a nice set of water slide transfers, some great designs on there that can be used for anything, be it infantry, vehicles or even banners.
I was pleasantly surprised that the colour scheme I had in mind, worked well enough on this figure. If I had gone for brass or metal trims, it would have looked too much like a Black Legion figure and I did not really want to invert the colours as the green would have been a bit to strong as a main colour. The intention is to paint the full squad one day for completions sake, but for now the limitations on load out mean I am going to have to paint the 2nd ed Chaos Space Marines for my growing Warband.




No comments:
Post a Comment