
This week is the final sculpt from Dave Andrews 1993 Plague Marine range. I had a lot of fun painting this figure and am really happy to have this guy finished and in the display case. The sculpt is limited in pose as per the era, but shows the transition from Rogue Trader Chaos Renegades to 40K 2nd Edition standards. Much like the Jes Goodwin Death Guard miniature, this chap looks like a big chunk of lead that barely fits on the base and when in the group, they really have presence.
There is a lot of cabling on this one, which replaces the highly ornate Chaos Renegades designs of the previous edition .The Nurgle elements are present as to be expected, with lots of cracks, chips and burst portions of armour that reveal even more cabling. These have picked out in period appropriate red. I even opted to use a red chaos star transfer for the right shoulder pad, which in my eyes did not seem to overwhelm the figure. On a random note, this figure really reminds of MKV Heresy armour.
I really like the chain sword on this miniature. If I was going for a more modern paint job, I would definitely apply lots of rust and gory bits in the teeth, but as it stands the black highlights and rent metal does enough of a job to get the point across (ha ha). If I had a surplus of this figure the Chain sword arm would fall prey to lots of conversion projects.
One of the best bits of detail on this figure, is the two tiny flies on the chest plate. In the original Eavy Metal page of White Dwarf 170, it looks like they have been painted white, but it is difficult to tell given the limitation of photography and prints of the time. I decided on a bright blue to make it stand out amongst the red and green and in my eyes those two tiny details pop a little better that way.
I am still using my surplus of plastic Rogue Trader Chaos Renegades backpack. They are so chunky compared to what comes after and have a great bio mechanical look that makes the whole miniature look extra 'Chaosey'. The googlie eyes are also back, giving me something to chuckle about when I move the figures around the tabletop at the very least. I am still limiting my usage of the metal versions at this point, as replacing what I use will probably be expensive and I also may venture down memory lane again and work on the original Nurgle Renegades from Rogue Trader.
However for now, that's the original Dave Andrews 1993 release complete. I will do a group shot in the future and maybe convert/paint a couple more to round out the squad. But for now it's time to move onto the next portion of the collection.
Thanks for reading,
Chris




No comments:
Post a Comment